The Great Mating Game

 

     The Black Redstart.   

It's March finally. The hopelessly romantic spring drama of the wild has begun. Jack, the hoverfly, celebrates his single life as he speculates about his ex-lover hiding behind the petunia flowers. Whilst John, the honeybee, has mistaken me for a potential lover. Chasing me down the verandah into the garden and then behind the car. He is attracted to the dripping coconut smell from my hair and the sweet-salty pungent sweat from my armpits. He says he wants me, unlike most men I am surrounded by. 

Joe, the garden lizard, seems to have left the garden temporarily to find Mrs Joe (Ms. Susan), who he has fantasized about the entire winter while protecting the Dianthus from petal-eaters (as i write this John came back to express his love to me. I ran.). I can't wait to meet Susan and the future little Joe Jr and Susan Jr. 

However, most love stories are yet to begin. I must talk about purple sunbirds and their dance to woo, the dull and high in demand, female. The art of courting and proposal is something us humans must learn. It goes something like this:

She sits on a branch, gloriously staring into the horizon, her eyelashes causing the air to gush across her face. He arrives hurriedly. Seats himself majestically at the grill right in front of her, yet below her, and begins stretching his wings while the wind makes his feathers stir. She looks and turns her back towards him. He perches to the branch where the sunlight will show off his hidden colours. She isn't satisfied yet. She flies down to my garden (yes I have witnessed this first hand). He follows her. Places himself between the flowers and chirps at various frequencies. And when he does that, his tail moves. It moves downwards everytime he chirps. And oh yes she notices. She let's out a smile. He gains some confidence. Hops closer to her. She chirps back and flies off. He chases her. Another female witnesses this and tries to come in between. But he has made his choice already. She gets a little mad. He sits next to her and sings to her. How melodious, perfectly tunes, each note connecting the next and making absolutely perfect sense. They sing together for a while and fly off some further. A new love story has begun for them. Hopefully they will build a home where they first met (my garden). 

Must I mention the Black Redstart bird, who has been serving as background music for the love story i witnessed and the writing gush I had overcome with. I'd like to thank Jerry, the squirrel, for sharing his favourite tree spot with me today. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Joke is on "You"

9:9:9- Cosmic Code of Change

Please Find Attached- PFA