Grandmothers' Paradise
24th October
My maternal and paternal grandmothers who have the most entertaining talks in the entire family. From world politics to the neighbourhood everything is discussed.
I have spent more time with my grandparents than with my parents talking about worldly things, stories of Guru Nanak Dev ji and Bala & Mardana, the famous Bhaagh Chidhi (I still worry about her egg), Raja and his 7 raniya, the little karnoor kaur (yes, karnoor) saving the world and what not. The importance of life skills regardless of education and the art to deal with this potentially dangerous world, all has been learnt from these two.
However, sometimes I see this huge generation gap and I smile. I wonder what it was like to be young in their time, to be scared of Baapu ji catching you with your head uncovered. All the other traditions and superstitions that make perfect sense to them and none to me.
Today morning as I was making my coffee in the kitchen, the two oldies sat on the dining table having a cup of tea and discussing Patiala. From Patiala the talk went to the lifestyle of the people to past superstitions. The conclusion was ajj kal mada haal taa ai, bache tyaan ni dinde ena cheejan nu (no translation available).
While my mind contradicted in all the ways possible. There is a thin line between faith and delusion. Superstitions are delusions. Rituals are delusions. Sadly, most Indian societal norms are delusions.